I was born in Cape Town, South Africa and grew up in Zimbabwe. I developed a love for all sport growing up but was drawn to triathlon at the age of 15 in 1988. I raced my first Olympic distance a year later. After leaving high school I had a brief two years coaching sport at some local schools in Zimbabwe. I then went to the UK to join the Parachute Regiment. While in the British Army I was able to race triathlon and represent the Army and GB Age group teams. I returned to Zimbabwe for a brief period. I then decided to head down under to Australia. It was in Australia that I learned my trade! At the time Australia had the best athletes in the world. I was coached by Kieron Barry then Mark Newton. Both coaches took me to the next level. They both coached world champions. I gained my pro license and was able to race ITU races then moved up to 70.3 and IM distance. I then returned to the UK where I was lucky enough to meet Ben Bright. This was a big breakthrough for me! Under Ben’s expert guidance I was able to really up my game as an athlete. I began to really focus on my weaknesses and take my racing to the next level. I competed in Kona in 2007 and 2010. I travelled the world racing and gaining a few top ten finishes in Ironman and 70.3 races. I won two 70.3 races which was a highlight for me.
I retired from professional racing in 2011 and am married to Alexa, have to young boys, St John and Cameron and a Chocolate Labrador called Matopos. I now live in the Channel Islands.
I continue to race as an age grouper and love my job!
As a coach my philosophy is centered on athletes understanding their training and the process to achieve their goals. This is achieved through communication, consistency in training, enjoying the process and recovery.
- 2014 Commonwealth Games – Tom Perchard
- Super League athletes – Ollie Turner and Siggi Ragnarsson
- Jersey Academy Coach
- Age Group GB World Champ qualifiers
- Age Group National champions
- Age Group World Championship Podium finishes
- Age Group Hawaii Qualifiers
Some of my results as an athlete:
- Two time Kona finisher 2007 and 2010
- Canberra Half Ironman 1st
- Rockhampton Half Ironman 1st
- Foster Half Ironman 2nd
- Florida Ironman 2009 – 4th
- Ironman UK 2011 – 3rd
- Ironman New Zealand – 5th
- Ironman Switzerland 2008 – 5th
- Ironman Regensburg 2010 – 5th
- Ironman South Africa 2008 – 6th